A well designed outdoor area can make your home feel larger by creating an outdoor living space to compliment your indoor space. Take note of the homes listed on the MLS that are high-end or just feel high-end and many of them have twilight photos and/or photos of outdoor areas that help you imagine summers with family & friends.
- Outdoor Lighting. There is something magical about outdoor lighting that makes spending evenings outside a little more special. This can be as simple as quality outdoor string lights installed over your deck or patio or above a fire pit, directed landscape lighting, walkway lighting, or outdoor wall lanterns and overhead lighting.
- Gathering Space. People like an area that is designed for gatherings – a gas fire table, a wood fire pit, a BBQ area, a pool or hot tub, an outdoor tiki bar, a patio table for meals, or even just a bistro table for an evening glass of wine or morning coffee for 2. These spaces can be created with a mixture of permanent features and furniture & accessories.
- Landscaping. Well maintained landscaping is important for curb appeal but it can also be designed to encourage people to want to be outside of your home. Add color with plants & outdoor art, tranquility with fountains, privacy with well-placed screens or fences, and lifestyle with gardens (as simple as a container gardening with herbs to fruit trees and raised beds for veggies & cut flowers).
- Outdoor Structures. Structures can help maximize the use and value of a home providing a place for active use, storage, or additional living space. Structures for active use include a patio, deck, gazebo, shop, playhouse, sports court, swimming pool, and animal related buildings and structures. Structures for storage include a shed, carport, detached garage, or RV covered area. Additional living space structures can include a studio, accessory living quarters (ALQ) with a place to sleep and a bathroom or an accessory dwelling unit (ADU) which includes sleeping area, bathroom and a kitchen area.
- Covered Area. In the Pacific Northwest a covered area can extend your ability to enjoy being outside to from Spring – Fall. There are many ways to create this area – everything from a large patio umbrella, sun sail shades, fixed or retractable awnings, or a detached or attached roof.
Article Published in the Woodinville Weekly Real Estate Section. Since 2017 The Blue Team has written the bi-monthly Real Estate Column sharing their expertise in this community publications, sharing their Tips for Home Buying, Tips for Home Selling, Tips for Investors, Buying & Selling Luxury Homes, Real Estate Transitions (Including Relocation & Senior Real Estate Tips), and Equestrian Real Estate.
1. Market Value & Lifestyle. Don’t market the features of your home such as the number of beds & baths, the best marketing sells the unique value and lifestyle benefits that your buyer can have if they purchase your home. Tranquil. An Idyllic retreat where you can feel the stress of the day melt away as you relax by the firepit contemplating the sunset. Epicurean. Experience the joy of cooking with fresh organic vegetables from your own, carefully cultivated garden.
2. Luxury Presentation. All homes should be staged to help buyers visualize themselves living in the home. Luxury homes should also be staged to emphasize the unique value and lifestyle proposition that this specific home offers. Sales preparation is critical – Luxury buyers want move-in ready homes the do not want a project. Where needed you should have fresh paint, refinished floors, updated carpeting, updated counters, crisp landscaping, etc. depending on the current state of your home. The home should be pre-inspected, substantive issues taken care of as well as most maintenance issues. All the buyer should have to do is move in and start enjoying their new lifestyle.
3. Advertise Regionally & Globally. Expand the pool of buyers that consider your home if you want maximize your sales price. If applicable, advertise in key regional publications that are read by luxury buyers such as the Puget Sound Business Journal, 425 Magazine, Pacific NW Magazine, Seattle Chinese Times, Alaska Airlines Beyond Magazine, etc. We live in an area that attracts international buyers – so make sure your internet marketing plan has a global reach utilizing high-end real estate partner services such as the Real Estate Companies of the World, Luxury Portfolio International, and Juwai.com.
Real Estate Corner (Article published in the Woodinville Weekly 2/19/18 edition)
Need help selling your Luxury Marketing Home? The Blue Team are Certified Home Luxury Marketing Specialists and members and have achieved the designation of Million Dollar Guild members of the Institute For Luxury Home Marketing!